Do Spas Require You To Be Over 18 to Get A Massage?
Life can be stressful, especially for young teens. With the weight and stress of school, social and societal pressure, puberty, discovering one’s identity, becoming comfortable in their changing bodies, and so on, many young teens have reported experiencing a lot of tension and anxiety in their daily lives. This is why it is important for everyone – regardless of age – to treat themselves to a relaxing and comforting day at the spa, especially getting a massage.
Nevertheless, it is very common to ask yourself, do you have to be 18 to get a massage? The simple answer to this question is, no! People under the age of 18 can most definitely get a massage at a spa, however, it is important to remember that each spa is different. There may be a few spas that will require guardians to sign a form showing consent or even require the parents/guardians to be present, while some might have no issue whatsoever.
We have made your life easier by answering all the questions you may have when getting a massage at a spa when you are under 18 years old.
Common Questions That We Get
We get asked questions regarding teenagers getting massages all the time, so we listed the most common questions we receive plus our expert opinions. If you have a question that is not listed below, please reach out to us and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
What type of massage should I get if I am under 18 years old?
There is no specific massage that someone under 18 should get, however, it is best to avoid any deep tissue massages as they might be too intense for them since they have more delicate bodies than legal adults. In addition to having more delicate bodies, they might not be used to the tension and friction that may come with a massage, therefore their bodies may react in a different way than an adult body would.
Although there is no specific massage type that is best for someone under 18, it is best to start them off with something simple and more importantly, short. Young teens will only need around 15-20 mins per massage session instead of the usual full hour in order to get the relaxing and comforting feeling without being too overwhelmed by this relatively new activity.
What type of clothing should I wear if I am under 18 years old?
Clothing while getting a massage at a spa for people under 18 is no different than for someone older than 18. There is no set outfit that one should wear when going to a spa, but it is important to wear clothes that are loose and comfortable for the individual.
The only main difference regarding clothing when getting a massage at a spa under 18 years old is that partial clothing may be required. Most adults usually get a massage while topless and lying face down, however, someone under 18 will be required to wear a bathing suit or underwear as they are still considered minors.
What are the health benefits of getting a massage if I am under 18 years old?
There are many health benefits of getting a massage at this young age! These benefits include – but are not limited to: promoting growth and development, keeping you happy, improving academic performance, enhancing the quality of sleep, and improving the immune system. To go into a little more depth on how a massage can help trigger these benefits:
- Promoting growth and development: Inputs from the senses and the mind are essential for a teen’s early development and well-being. Teenagers who receive massages early on are believed to receive more tactile stimuli that promote growth and development.
- Keeping you happy: Teen massage treatments are an efficient method for easing anxiety and lowering stress, which lowers the body’s cortisol levels. Most teen’s body enters a condition of fight or flight when they are exposed to the stress hormone cortisol. With that being said, your mood naturally gets better after a good massage session as it helps prevent the excessive release of cortisol.
- Improving academic performance: Among the most frequent causes of poor concentration in teens are anxiety and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders (ADHD). Massage treatments have been shown to have benefits for reducing stress, but it is also effective in managing ADHD in teens.
- Enhancing the quality of sleep: A teen’s growth and development depend on their quality and level of sleep. However, a sizable portion of teens today experience sleep deprivation. By balancing the levels of sleep hormones, massage treatments aid teens in getting better quality sleep.
- Improving the immune system: A teen’s immune system acts as a natural defense against infections and microorganisms. Additionally, a strong immune system stops the emergence of chronic illnesses. By removing the negative impacts of stress on a teen’s immune system, massage therapy helps children positively deal with stress.
How can I be sure I can get a massage at a spa if I am under 18 years old?
The best way to be sure whether you can get a massage at a spa if you are under 18 years old or not is to simply call the spa and ask. If you are too shy to call and ask, most spas will state their guidelines on their websites, so it is recommended to check it out. However, always remember, there is no shame in asking if you have to be 18 to get a massage at a spa!
Contact Our Day Spa Today!
If you or someone you know would like to kick back and relax with a comforting massage and are wondering, contact Champagne Ghost Spa for a wide variety of excellent massages! You can reach out to our team now by visiting our contact page! We can assure you that your teen will be well cared for as our professional massage therapists have years of experience and training and will guarantee a relaxing and soothing journey for them!